Thursday, May 19, 2011

Australia 2011 - First Stop Sydney






After 3 plane rides, the longest 15 hours, I arrived in Sydney. Australia. I was warmly welcomed by the Sydney University College of Art Ceramics faculty, Jan Guy, Head, and Dee Taylor Graham.

The College of Art is on their own campus, Kirkbridge, sandstone buildings set in a lovely park. Built in the late 1800’s the facility served as a mental institution until the 1960’s. The philosophy was that people with mental illness would feel better in beautiful setting. The buildings make for a great art school. The space is amazing.

I was put up in a small flat on campus. I gave a lecture and a demonstration while there. I took a bus ride to the waterfront, all too brief as it was getting dark and raining. I plan to take one of those ferries on my stop in Sydney on the way home. Jan and Dee took me to see another part of the bay the next night. Spectacular!

All in all, it was a wonderful visit and a great start to my Australian adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment