Wednesday, January 13, 2010

White Tondo Series


This series incorporates a magnolia leaf made into a mold, slip cast, thrown plates, digital decals. The plates are about 15 " in diameter.

I use the decals in a collage-like fashion, cutting and “pasting” them to fit the areas and concept I am interested in. The shift from two-dimensional to three-dimensional as well as from negative and positive space, becomes critical to the composition.

This work, although very different from my more typical earthenware work, continues my series of tondos, , or round relief, found in Italian Renaissance architecture , with vessels as relief. Occasionally, I take the vessel forms off the tondo and place them in various installations. Ideas about relationships, with their similarities and differences, influence me as I group them. Recently, I am using tiles as a surface for these forms as well. All this is in an effort to engage the viewer in the visual shifts and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment